Thursday, January 31, 2013

The thing I love about Christianity

I haven't seen it in a while, but I have experienced it a few times in my life.  It's the true love and connection that can be shared between believers. A sense of real family.  There isn't much reason for these random people to care about each other, but the "spirit" brings people together. And often it's a pure and selfless sense of togetherness.

I've wondered if that is just hokey and that I experienced that because I wanted to.  I wanted to love and care and find family.  So, I did. I wanted to be important to others and them to me, so I made a bond, real or not, that made it so.

I have even pushed those bonds to the point of breaking.  I see that I have felt more connected to others than they have felt to me.

If anything, I think it shows how important it is to help children grow up feeling connected and important to the world around them.  I see it when children are left to fend for themselves. They are like leaves blowing in the wind, waiting to get caught on a tree limb, or worse get flushed down the gutter.

Perhaps that is the biggest thing that I am grateful for in regards to faith. It taught me basic morality and virtues.  I do believe that many things in this world are fleeting and many people get caught up with passing worldly pleasures that really do not fulfill at all and can actually destroy your life.  But true friendship, generosity, charity, selflessness, these things have stood the test of time for me.


No comments: